Wednesday 4 April 2007

My 20' welded aluiminum boat will penetrate "soft" ice up to 4" thick. I did not try to cross 5 Mile Bay because I would have to pass through 4" ice for about 1 1/2 miles. There is a very real danger of getting stuck with no one to rescue you. If we had another 2 days of mild weather and above freezing nights the ice would probably be gone. However the weather forcast is for lows of -8C and highs of -3C for the next 5 days. This will cause the ice to solidify. I predict it will take at least another week to open up.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brent!
    My husband and I met you last year when we came to Kineras Bay on our snowmachines. We came by this winter but you were away at the time. We have just learned of you blog and enjoyed looking at the pictures. I am wondering if you have noticed whether the osprey is back on the nest in 5 Mile. That nest is directly north of our cottage and I monitor it for the Osprey Society - it would be interesting to be able to say exactly when the birds come as they are always there when we come for the first time in April. Marion and Don Wheeler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marion. Sorry I missed you when you were by this winter. Because of a family emergency I had to spend most of the winter in Toronto. I did not see the Ospreys on the nest on Apr.4th. I will watch for there appearance and let you know. I am thinking of erecting an Osprey nest site on Kineras Bay.

    ReplyDelete